"Do you suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused? Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?” -Martin Luther
* Historically, God’s people have greatly enjoyed alcohol. In the European world one of the most Christian drinks was beer.
* After Charlemagne’s reign, the church became
* When a young woman was to marry, her church made a special bride ale for her, from which we derive our word bridal.
* Pastor John Calvin’s annual salary package included upwards of 250 gallons of wine.
* Martin Luther explained the entire reformation as “..while I sat still and drank beer with Phillip and Amsdorf, God dealt the papacy a mighty blow.”
* Luther’s wife Catherine was a skilled brewer and his love letters to her when they were apart lamented his inability to drink her beer.
* When the Puritans landed on Plymouth Rock the first permanent building they erected was the brewery.